Step 7: Inner Beltway: Maintain Focus on Redevelopment Strategies
As the Maryland National Park & Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), develops ) the Master Plans for Prince George’s County, they have recommended more transit-oriented development around the county’s Metro station, more historic preservation, more redevelopment and economic development of underutilized properties, particularly those inside the Beltway28. Thus far, for example, transit-oriented development (TOD) plans have been completed for 11 county Metrorail stations.
The challenge for the next County Executive, given the budgetary climate, will be to find the right mix of tax and/or other incentives to realize many of the economic development goals of current Master Plan documents for Inner Beltway communities.
In addition to other approaches developed by an expert team, my strategy will likely include many of those identified in some of the current planning documents:
- Establish a residential infill development program for market-rate housing.
- Develop a better façade improvement program for commercial properties.
- Develop regulatory and other incentives that encourage reinvestment in blighted residential and industrial areas.
- Develop financial incentives to attract various types of industrial development.
- Streamline the permitting process for high priority development that reflects key principles – smart and green growth in the inner beltway communities.
Envision Prince George’s…
Envision Prince George’s is an initiative of the M-NCPPC created to develop a vision for the future of the county that includes a “vibrant economy and a high quality of life for all.” The final product is to reflect the input of thousands of residents and stakeholders from across the county.
The Envision process has the potential to provide additional answers on how to attract and facilitate quality, smart and green growth in inner beltway communities.29
28 Preliminary Subregion 4 Master Plan and Proposed Sectional Map Amendment, August 2009.
29 Envision Prince George’s: Embrace the Possibilities. http://envisionprincegeorges.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/EnvisionForumParticipantGuideFinalSmall1.pdf